Asthma Category

Enhancing Practice in Severe Asthma Short Course

75% bursary applicable to this course (for the first 120 places booked) – actual price to pay £120.00 – a voucher for the value of £360.00 will be automatically applied at checkout

5.4 million people in the UK have asthma, and it is estimated that 200,000 of those have severe asthma.

This short course is designed for healthcare professionals and aims to develop further knowledge regarding the diagnosis, treatment and management of Severe Asthma. Topics include screening processes, pharmalogical pathways, and differentiating between difficult and severe asthma.

If there are no suitable dates available or you're looking for a different course, then click here to get in touch or join our waiting list.

This product is currently out of stock and unavailable.

Study TypeInteractive Blended Online Learning
Duration15 weeks
LevelLevel 6 (Degree)
Start DateVarious

University of Hertfordshire

Please Note: All scheduled courses (unless clearly indicated) are delivered online using an Interactive Blended Online Learning Model. This includes a blend of live webinars, workshops and Q&A sessions with clinical tutors combined with eLearning and videos; all designed to enable participants to build the knowledge and skills needed to successfully complete their course.

A voucher for the value of £360.00 will be automatically applied to this course when adding it to your basket which will reduce the value to pay to £120.00 - there is no need for you to enter a voucher code

5.4 million people in the UK have asthma. It is estimated that 200,000 of those have severe asthma.

What’s more, 24% of asthma patients are prescribed high intensity treatment, yet 17% have poor symptom control. There has been a 33% increase in asthma mortality over the last ten years.

The impact has significant cost implications to the NHS (it is 50 times more costly to treat uncontrolled asthma). It also has a significant effect on patients, with many experiencing poor mental health and regular asthma exacerbations that impact their day to day activities.

Course content:

Our Severe Asthma course supports the development of further knowledge regarding the diagnosis, treatment and management of severe asthma. Topics include:

  • The impact of undiagnosed severe asthma
  • Differentiating between difficult and severe asthma
  • Screening processes
  • Pharmacological pathways
  • Referral pathways from primary to secondary care
  • Multidisciplinary teams

Who is the course for?

This Enhancing Practice in Severe Asthma short course is designed with healthcare professionals from both primary and secondary care in mind. The course is suitable for:

  • Advanced Nurse Specialists
  • GPs
  • Senior Clinical Pharmacists
  • Clinical Nurse Specialist (any banding)
  • Other allied healthcare professionals that form part of the multidisciplinary team including, Respiratory Physiologists, Respiratory Physiotherapists, Band 6 and band 7 nurses.

 Study type:

Accredited by the University of Hertfordshire, the course is taught at Level 6 (degree level) over a 15-week period.

This course is delivered through online interactive learning, including live webinars, pre-recorded lectures and eLearning. Assessment is a coursework assignment at the end of the course.

Bursary information:

We’re running four cohorts of this course between January and March 2024, with 30 spaces available on each. For each place on each of these cohorts, GSK are offering an 75% bursary towards the course cost. The learner will be required to pay the remaining 25% of the course.

Please note: Bursaries will be awarded on a first come, first served basis.

Assessment Method: Coursework assignment

No. of credits: 15 at Level 6

Accrediting Institution: University of Hertfordshire

eLearning requirements: click to view

To help signpost you to the right information, here are some frequently asked questions and answers.

Learner FAQs – webpage

Learner FAQs

Our website and eLearning work best in Google Chrome, Safari or Microsoft Edge and we advise you use one of these browsers to minimise the risk of errors or screen distortion. Please see our eLearning requirements document if you need further advice.

University of Hertfordshire

You may also like…