New National Register for spirometry: are you ready?
9th February 2017
Spirometry is an essential tool in the diagnosis and management of respiratory disease but do you feel confident and assured when you or your team are performing this? Did you know a National Register of certified spirometry professionals and operators is set to launch, a framework endorsed by NHS England?
The National Register
Most people will attain competency by attending training, applying their learning into the clinical setting and then being assessed as competent. The Register launches on 1 April 2017, and the framework is being implemented over four years. Healthcare professionals currently performing and/or interpreting spirometry will have until 31 March 2021 to ensure they have been assessed and entered on to the National Register of certified healthcare professionals. Those on the Register as at 1 April will remain on it for three years.
Education for Health Spirometry training
View at www.educationforhealth.org/spirometry
Find out more:
- Read the document: Improving the quality of diagnostic spirometry in adults: the National Register of certified professionals and operators
- Read our CEO Monica Fletcher’s blog on Respiratory Futures website
- Read a summary leaflet about the register
- Read FAQs – NEWLY ADDED NOVEMBER 2016
- Read quotes from key opinion leaders
- Read the press release